Create a plan for responding to security incidents.
- Create a plan to respond to security incidents, and designate a response team led by a senior staff person.
- Draft contingency plans for how your business will respond to different kinds of security incidents. Some threats may come out of left field; others — a lost laptop or a hack attack, to name just two — are unfortunate, but foreseeable.
- Investigate security incidents immediately.
- Create a list of who to notify — inside or outside your organization — in the event of a security breach.
- Immediately disconnect a compromised computer from the Internet.