Properly dispose of what you no longer need.
- Create and implement information disposal practices.
- Dispose of paper records by shredding, burning, or pulverizing them.
- Defeat dumpster divers by encouraging your staff to separate the stuff that’s safe to trash from sensitive data that needs to be discarded with care.
- Make shredders available throughout the workplace, including next to the photocopier.
- Use wipe utility programs when disposing of old computers and portable storage devices.
- Give business travelers and employees who work from home a list of procedures for disposing of sensitive documents, old computers, and portable devices.